[asterisk-users] Questions on hardware or software-based echo cancellation

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jan 12 16:58:47 CST 2012

On 01/12/2012 06:39 AM, Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some questions related to echo cancellation configuration
> on a Digium board enabled systems (B410P, TE420, TE420B, ....) for
> cases when a hardware ech canceller is present or not.
>
> I read in TEXXX manual that when setting echocancel=yes in
> chan_dahdi.conf on a VPMOCT64-equiped system, 128ms hardware echo
> cancellation was enabled.
>
> 1. I'm correct thinking that it is then impossible to switch from
> hardware to software echo can without removing the VPMOCT64 module
> itself ?
> 2. Does the same also apply to HA8 and its VPMOCT032 module ?

With DAHDI 2.6 (and possibly 2.5), it is possible to override the
configuration and apply a software echo canceller to a channel even if
it has a hardware one. With prior versions, yes, the echo cancellation
module would have to be physically removed (or disabled using a
parameter to the kernel module).

--
Kevin P. Fleming