[asterisk-users] Why write your dialplan using Lua?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Jan 6 15:28:27 CST 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Danny Nicholas wrote:

> Not to "purposely" open a flame war here, but is lua preferable to ael?
> Aren't we better off just properly documenting our original conf files
> since new changes often introduce "bad opportunities"?

One of the advantages of Lua is that it is embedded in other applications
so you can 'leverage' the learning investment.

Kind of like why you write your AGIs in Perl and I do in C. It's what we
already know and we don't have to overcome 'yet another language' inertia.

AEL was a big win for me over 'conf.' I'm hoping that Lua will be a big
win over AEL.

One thing does concern me...

Here we are all discussing something we don't know anything about and
nobody has chimed in with their experiences. If nobody is using it, how
many 'arrows' will I get in my back when I blaze that trail?

--
Thanks in advance,