[asterisk-users] Why write your dialplan using Lua?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Jan 6 13:12:36 CST 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, José Pablo Méndez Soto wrote:

> My question is, what is the benefit of using Lua?

I've never used Lua, but I also have a curiosity about it.

A couple of years ago, I wrote my first dialplan in AEL. Some bits were
clumsy, minor syntax errors caused major parts of my dialplan to
disappear, and I discovered a bunch of bugs*.

But, many parts were elegant. Bits that would have been an ugly mess in
'plain dialplan' seemed obvious and clear.

I would expect a similar experience with Lua. Kind of an opposite '1984**'
experience.

If you take the jump, please post your experiences.

*) This was in 1.2 so there was no benefit in reporting the bugs.

**) In Orwell's 1984, the 'scope' of language was reduced to eliminate the
ability to express subversive thoughts.

--
Thanks in advance,