[asterisk-users] Where are the fax instructions?

José Pablo Méndez Soto auxcri at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:54:18 CST 2012

Kevin,

I rolled back clean my virtual asterisk testbed and instead of libspandsp2
and libspandsp-dev, I installed libtiff4 - libtiff4-dev and
downloaded/compiled spandsp 0.0.6, then I fixed the libraries with

echo "/usr/local/lib" > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/spandsp.conf

cuz it wasn't able to load the module at all. Now it does but still can't
see any reference to gateway support.

Installed Asterisk 10 package, ./configure proves good spandsp support:

checking for minimum version of SpanDSP... yes
checking for span_set_message_handler in -lspandsp... yes
checking spandsp.h usability... yes
checking spandsp.h presence... yes
checking for spandsp.h... yes
checking for t38_terminal_init in -lspandsp... yes
checking for spandsp.h... (cached) yes

I  decided to give 10.0 a try since res_fax_spandsp is included in the
native code right? (if that even has any sense). It now shows:

CLI> fax show capabilities

Registered FAX Technology Modules:

Type            : Spandsp
Description     : Spandsp FAX Driver
Capabilities    : SEND RECEIVE T.38 G.711 GATEWAY

1 registered modules

I would consider this one solved but could you please throw some insight as
to why 1.8.8.0 and 1.8.7.1 fail to build the gateway support?

Thanks again,

 *José Pablo Méndez
*********