[asterisk-users] asterisk 1.8 codec negotiation

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jan 5 10:07:06 CST 2012

On 01/04/2012 07:06 PM, covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming<kpfleming at digium.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 01/01/2012 04:17 PM, covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:
>>> Hi.  I am using asterisk 1.8 and everything was working fine when I was
>>> at svn  342661.  I then upgraded to vrsion 349339 and discovered the
>>> following problem -- one of the end points is a freeswitch box which
>>> offers a number of codecs, including PCMU.  However, when I tried to
>>> make a call I got a 488 response and  a message "multiple audio streams
>>> not supported" in the log.
>>
>> "multiple audio streams" != "multiple audio codecs". For some reason
>> Asterisk is receiving an INVITE with an offer for more than one audio
>> stream (m=audio), and that is not supported.
> OK, but if I have a phone or in my case a server which offers a choice
> of codecs, why can't asterisk just pick the ones it has rather than
> reject the call?  Is there a way to do this correctly as far as asterisk
> is concerned?

Did you read the message I sent? It seems that every time you post a
question here, you ascribe behavior to Asterisk that isn't supported by
the logs you have posted, or really, anything at all.

Asterisk does *not* reject calls just because more codecs were offered
than it can support (or has been configured to allow). It never has, and
never will. It has *always* acted in exactly the fashion you have
requested: if an offer is received that contains at least one codec that
Asterisk can support, and has been configured to allow, then the offer
will be accepted with all supported-and-enabled codecs.

The error message you posted above has *nothing* to do with codecs being
offered, it is caused by multiple audio streams being offered.

--
Kevin P. Fleming