[asterisk-users] Speech recognition in asterisk using google voice API

Lefteris Zafiris zaf.000 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:26:28 CST 2012

> Works beautifully. Amazing job Lefteris. Thanks.
>
> The best result I got in probability was 0.9725632 by saying, "hello". I
> think there is some non-phonetic logic built-in as well. I tried, "1, 2" and
> I got "0.86534226" in accuracy. While I tried "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" I got,
> "0.97256315". Probably Google sees the pattern?!
>
> What are some of the other tricks (if any) or consideration that one should
> make while creating a strong speech recognition enabled IVR?

Google accepts sound files at any sampling rate (up to 44.1kHz) so if
you can use some wideband codec ( eg g722)
It can greatly improve the sound quality and the detection rates. For
now the script supports 8kHz and 16kHz sampling rates
for recording and it can be set by editing the scripts user defined
parameters ( the variable $samplerate).
Anything that improves the recording sound clarity will help, a good
phone, low background noise level etc.
I have also read that normalizing the recording and setting the gain
to -5 db improves detection rates. I m experimenting with this at the
moment and there will be some new code soon (as soon as i get sox
working in RHEL/Centos 5 :P ).