[asterisk-users] Asterisk won't start - trap invalid opcode

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 12:09:28 CST 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012, Duncan Turnbull wrote:
> I loaded the latest 1.6 which gets slightly further and a core dump shows
> this, but its past my ability to interpret
>
> # gdb -se "asterisk" -c core | tee /tmp/backtrace.txt
> GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.3-0ubuntu2) 7.3-2011.08
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to
> change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted
> by law.  Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
> Reading symbols from /usr/sbin/asterisk...done.
> [New LWP 19322]
> [New LWP 19323]
> [New LWP 19324]
> [New LWP 19325]
> [New LWP 19326]
>
> warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
> Core was generated by `asterisk -d -g -cvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv'.
> Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
> #0  0x0000000000500eab in tzload (name=<optimized out>, sp=0x1fc7950,
> doextend=1) at stdtime/localtime.c:424 424	static int tzload(const char
> *name, struct state * const sp, const int doextend)

It's a bit beyond my depth too, but I'd start with a look at localtime.c in
the Asterisk source tree.  It might simply be trying to include something that
isn't present on your system.

If you stick a /* harmless comment */ in this file and re-save it, this will
give the file a new modification time.  Then run `make` again.  It will
recompile just localtime.c  (this being the only source file that has changed
since the last time make was run)  -- now watch very closely for errors.

Answers come *after* questions.