[asterisk-users] Asterisk won't start - trap invalid opcode

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 04:47:53 CST 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012, Duncan Turnbull wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Happy New Year
>
> I have a new install of asterisk 1.8.8.1 on ubuntu server
> 3.0.0-14-server #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:49:05 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> It has a Sangoma A200 card and I thought should be fairly standard but I
> have a new error when trying to start asterisk and I don't really know
> where to start
>
> Initially asterisk was installed with dahdi from a package but sangoma
> didn't seem happy. Once I added dahdi from source sangoma wanpipe
> installed okay, but when I reloaded asterisk it stopped. So I removed all
> the packages (I believe I have but something could be hanging around) and
> rebuilt asterisk from source. Same errors.
>
> The only errors I can see are limited - I also stopped wan router and dahdi
> and I still get ~# asterisk -cvvvvvvvvvv
> Illegal instruction
>
> Which isn't very informative. Kind of a fun challenge but not one I need
> right now
>
> Google hasn't been able to find a similar issue

For what it's worth, I once tried installing Asterisk on an old VIA C7 box;
and it turns out that this processor, while detecting as an i686, doesn't
implement the full i686 instruction set -- and Asterisk is trying to use one
of the non-implemented instructions.  Solution was to re-compile for i586.

It's just possible that something similar is going on here -- maybe your
processor isn't implementing an instruction that Asterisk or Dahdi is relying
on.  (It's my understanding that 64-bit processors don't fully implement the
32-bit instructions when in 64-bit mode, but I wouldn't swear to that.)  Or
maybe it's a library path problem -- something trying to use a 32-bit library
instead of a 64-bit one, or vice versa.  Try ldd on the binaries.

What is your output from `cat /proc/cpuinfo` ?

If you have at least two SIP phones and/or an IAX route, try disabling Dahdi,
and see if you can persuade Asterisk to run like that.  At least that should
help track the problem down to one layer (Asterisk or Dahdi).

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.