[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Wed Feb 29 09:25:49 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 08:22 AM, Alejandro Imass wrote:

[...]

> The number of 'plain' SIP endpoints deployed behind consumer-grade NAT
> devices talking to Asterisk servers on public IP addresses is in the
> millions, if not the tens of millions. As has already been posted, Asterisk
> itself handles all the far-end NAT traversal duties necessary for this to
> work; neither the remote endpoint nor the NAT device need to do anything
> special, nor do they require any configuration.
>
> Rather than post a lengthy exposition on how widespread your network is and
> how technically astute your people are, you would probably accomplish much
> more to setup a simple test scenario as has been previously suggested, and
> if it does not work for you, post the details of the scenario and the
> failure here.

We use SIP and IAX interchangeably, but had less hassle with IAX. The
topic of the discussion on this thread was that SIP is so awesome and
that IAX is a peice of crap. My point of view is that we've had many
problems with SIP and NAT and that IAX just works great for us, and
that in *our* experience IAX has worked better for us.

Just to clear my head up a bit: are you supporting the argument that
SIP is better for Asterisk than IAX?