[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Tue Feb 28 17:36:05 CST 2012

BTW, Trunking was the other selling point of IAX2 besides using 1 port
which is easily a DDOS target and also probably still
an implantation problem of using one thread and one proc for all calls.

Trunking allowed for less overhead then SIP since all the overhead for the
concurrent calls were combined into one stream.

Without trunking, you only have the single port thing.  It is quite easy to
open the correct ports for SIP, some just have GUI with a SIP checkbox,
IPTables is simple and there are tons of howtos.

Thanks,
Steve T