[asterisk-users] Alphanumeric DTMF !?

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Tue Feb 28 10:27:10 CST 2012

Just for fun I did something similar at one point.

0-9 A-D and * and # make a character set of 16 characters, perfect for encoding as hex.

Take your string, get the ASCII value of each character, convert it to hex, and add it to the "encoded" string.
Just before dialing, replace all "e" with # and all "f" with * in your encoded string

Make the call to the remote system and send the digits in the "encoded string", you will need something on the other end to decode the text.

Took about 30 seconds to send "Hello World!" because of limitations in Asterisk's maximum digits on Read (about 40 digits) and needing to ACK "packets" of 32 characters each and timeouts, etc.  I think I used CRC8 to validate the received "packets".

Overall it was a cool hack and totally impractical in the real world.