[asterisk-users] Asterisk Version 1.8.9.2 Question About SIP/SRTP/TLS

Larry Moore lmoore at starwon.com.au
Tue Feb 28 09:00:03 CST 2012

On 28/02/2012 7:58 PM, DHAVAL INDRODIYA wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have one question that if my device is registered over TLS on
> asterisk .
>
> is it required that it can only use SRTP for making an outbound calls
> or incoming calls too.

No.

> how we can disable srtp and only enable TLS.

tlsenable=yes

Make sure you have your certificates setup prior to enabling this.

AFAIK Encryption of RTP  isn't on by default, to disable it in your peer
configurations use

encryption=no

> is there any dial-plan functions that can help to disable/enable this
> SRTP.

Not that I am aware of.

> I want following settings.
>
>                              TLS                                      UDP
> USERAGENT =======> ASTERISK =========> VoIpProvider

TLS is used for SIP signalling, what you do with RTP is up to you.

I have phones configured to use TLS and I have enforced RTP encryption
i.e. SRTP by using encryption=yes in the peers configuration an setting
the corresponding setting on the phone.

When an outgoing call is made to my ITSP the communications between the
phone and Asterisk is all encrypted, the communications with my ITSP are
all un-encrypted.

I have also used encryption=allow, this permits the administrator of the
UA to decide if it should use SRTP or otherwise traditional RTP is used.

> So is it possible with asterisk.

Yes!

Was that one question!?

Larry.