[asterisk-users] app_rpt and chan_usbradio removal from trunk

Josh Freeman cpe.jfreeman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:56:12 CST 2012

Just to inform the list -

App_rpt and chan_usbradio are still regularly used and maintained, but
now live in a repository at ohnosec.org along with the forked-off builds
of Asterisk 1.4 and Zaptel that are required to have them work properly.

I'm told there is some fundamental incompatibility between canonical
Zaptel/DAHDI and the radio application that can't be effectively worked
around, or would take more effort than it would be worth to fix and keep
up with DAHDI changes. This was the motivation for forking Asterisk and
maintaining a separate codebase.

Although I can't speak authoritatively for the app_rpt community, I'll
say that I haven't seen too much concern over being stuck with 1.4.
Those of us who really like the idea of integrating our app_rpt radio
systems with more conventional Asterisk use cases find it much easier
(and often more desirable anyway, from a system viewpoint) to just set
up a second box with canonical 1.8 or 10 and trunk the two together.

Josh Freeman