[asterisk-users] how many UDP ports is required for 1 call

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Feb 22 07:06:44 CST 2012

On 02/22/2012 07:01 AM, virendra bhati wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I appreciate, that you replyed first and even fast. But you asked for
> nature of call too. So my question was added with your question .
>
> Voice call *How many port of UDP or RTP ?*
> Video call *How many port of UDP or RTP ?*
> Fax call *How many port of UDP or RTP ?*
> T.140 text call*   How many port of UDP or RTP ?*
>
> As per the reply Voice call is come to 4 ports but rest is not clear.
>
> Voice call *4*
> Video call *??*
> Fax call *??*
> T.140 text call*   ??*
>
> *Will these port of UDP, RPT or Both ?*

It is clear that you are lacking some basic understanding of how SIP and
RTP operate; I would suggest that you take Phil Frost's advice and use
Wireshark to watch what actually happens when you place calls on your
system.

Just some points: UDP and RTP are not exclusive; RTP operates over UDP.
Voice calls do not require 4 UDP ports (in most cases). FAX calls rarely
use RTP.

--
Kevin P. Fleming