[asterisk-users] How to receive SMS ?

Administrator TOOTAI admin at tootai.net
Thu Feb 16 12:23:12 CST 2012

Le 16/02/2012 16:55, Olivier a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've read here and there how Asterisk could send SMS but I didn't find
> much about how to receive SMS and forward them to an email box.
>
> 1. First of all, I don't think my telco would let me receive any SMS
> my landline.

Why? If I assume well you're in France, so no problem.

> 2. Maybe I could find providers selling this service for a monthly fee;

If your point 1) view is true, it will change nothing ;-)

> 3. I could build and operate my own infrastructure.

What we did.

  Anyway, the problem is not here. If you follow
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+Sms it's working, but,
at least for France (true around one year back):

- SFR is sending SMS to landlines as voice messages which is completely
stupid as they ask to press 1 to listen the message or you can wait 15
sec and start recording, perhaps you will get it or part of. But if they
change their announce message, you have at first to know it and then
recalculate the delay. Crazy. An answer machine will have same problem.
- FREE mobile doesn't send SMS to landlines
- ORANGE is working but we also faced some SMS sended as voice message
- BOUYGUES wasn't tested

We stopped to work on this as each mobile operator do what he want, SMS
gateways being not better. To unstable to rely on it.

> Given this asterisk-users mailing-list purpose, and for curiosity's
> sake, how could I build my own SMS reception service with Asterisk
> (1.6.1 or later) ?
> Which channel (chan_mobile, chan_datacard, ...) and hardware would be
> appropriate ?
> Suggestions ?

Hope that helped

--