[asterisk-users] How to receive SMS ?

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 16 09:55:03 CST 2012

Hi,

I've read here and there how Asterisk could send SMS but I didn't find
much about how to receive SMS and forward them to an email box.

1. First of all, I don't think my telco would let me receive any SMS
my landline.

2. Maybe I could find providers selling this service for a monthly fee;

3. I could build and operate my own infrastructure.

Given this asterisk-users mailing-list purpose, and for curiosity's
sake, how could I build my own SMS reception service with Asterisk
(1.6.1 or later) ?
Which channel (chan_mobile, chan_datacard, ...) and hardware would be
appropriate ?
Suggestions ?

Regards