[asterisk-users] SIP hardware phones

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Mon Feb 13 03:48:33 CST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 09:32 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> "Jason W. Parks" <jason.w.parks at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I can move my voice infrastructure to an IP-based one running 10Mbps,
> > utilize existing wiring infrastructure, with the only cost outlay
> > being low cost PoE managed switches (48 ports for about a grand), and
> > it ends up a lot cheaper than upgrading the data network to support
> > the phones. ...and I can still stay within standard.
>
> You can, but not all phones will link up at 10Mbps.
>

> /Benny
>
> --
Are you realy shure you want to do that?
I mean _existing_ infra (with probably a number of other (non-voip)
machines connected to it?

Even on a 100Mbps network, if one of the machines on the same network is
doing a rsync-job (no saturation), I notice a drop in voip-quality.

Adding voip to existing infra might work, if your network is good
enough, like Gb with enough unused bandwith and low latency. Or if you
can tell complaining users, that it is a temporary solution.

hw