[asterisk-users] Should you "ever" use nat=no?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 17:54:18 CST 2012

I've been lurking on the dev discussion on creating nat=auto. It all
leads me to think there's no reason to use nat=no.

We have about 60 internal sip extensions connected to an multihomed
asterisk box where the external ip is not nat'ed. Each of the internal
sip contexts has nat=no. On startup I get a slew of warnings about
intruders being able to distinguish real extensions. But that isn't
right, is it? Or if it is, wouldn't the intruder have to be on the
"inside" 10.0.0.0 net?

But so what? Does nat=no buy you anything? faster? slicker? richer?

sean