[asterisk-users] SIP hardware phones

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 10 09:07:05 CST 2012

2012/2/10, Jason W. Parks <jason.w.parks at gmail.com>:
> I'm in a similar situation. However, most of my buildings were re-wired
> around 1994 to provide Cat5 or 5E to the desktop for data, and 2-pair
> Cat3 for voice, all in a star topology. I can move my voice
> infrastructure to an IP-based one running 10Mbps, utilize existing
> wiring infrastructure, with the only cost outlay being low cost PoE
> managed switches (48 ports for about a grand), and it ends up a lot
> cheaper than upgrading the data network to support the phones. ...and I
> can still stay within standard.
>
> Is this an option for you

Yes this is an option but the original question "why no low-end
Gigabit phones on the market ?".
Try to find a PC motherboard with 10/100 interface. Now, it's Gigabit
for all, no matter if people need its speed or not. And both, IP
phones and PC motherboard are 100$ products.

What strikes me is that it's still not the case in 2012, for IP phones.
I can live with that but I'm still a bit surprised by this remaining
year after year.

 or are you still living with the remnants of