[asterisk-users] Automatic Number Identification and anonymous calls

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 10 02:03:45 CST 2012

2012/2/9, Maximilian Grobecker <m.grobecker at portunity.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I know about the german phone system that the sense of an anonymous call
> is, that the called party has no way to get the caller's number in any way.
> The last switch honours the "anonymous" bit and removes the phone
> numbers before sending the call to the called party.
>
> In EURO-ISDN you have a feature called "CLIRO" which means "Calling Line
> Identification Restriction Override" and is only availiable to emergency
> services or special governmental services.
> With this line feature the last switch ignores the anonymous bit and you
> can see both caller id and ANI.
>
> The US phone system may work in another way, but if I call another
> person and want to hide my number I would appreciate if my phone number
> is not sent to the called party in any field.
> So this issue sounds to me more like feature than a bug ;-)

Yes, I agree but what I rate as a bug is "asterisk copying CID data
into ANI field".
The reasoning is asterisk should don't modify, unless explicitely
configured to do so, whatever comes from the public network side.

For instance, it seems analog lines cannot support ANI. So when
receiving a call through an analog line, this ANI field should be
simply empty.
It seems that today default is to copy CID into ANI field. This is
misleading as you may think this ANI is somehow "more trustable" than
CID alone.

I agree that if a caller requires anonymity, then, except for very
special cases (emergency services, for instance), ANI should also be
hidden by the telco.