[asterisk-users] Help with Codes and Polycom Phones

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Feb 9 09:20:11 CST 2012

On 02/09/2012 04:08 AM, David Klaverstyn wrote:

> I can get Asterisk to work with G722 and the sound is superior compared
> to uLAW. I tried to get it working with Siren7 and Siren14 but I cannot.
> It always says incompatible codec and what is this Siren14 and Siren22
> with Polycom. Is this different to Asterisk’s Siren7 and Siren14? Is
> this why I cannot get Siren to function?

Asterisk supports G.722.1 (also known as Siren7), and this can be
configured in a config file as either 'g7221' or 'siren7'. Asterisk also
supports G.722.1 Annex C (also known as Siren14), and this can be
configured in a config file as either 'g7221c' or 'siren14'. G.722.1 is
supported only at the 32 kbps bitrate, and G.722.1C is supported only at
the 48 kbps bitrate. Asterisk does not support Siren22.

> siren7 show version : Digium Siren7 Module Version 1.8.0_1.0.5
> (optimized for barcelona_64)
>
> siren14 show version : Digium Siren14 Module Version 1.8.0_1.0.5
> (optimized for barcelona_64)
>
> I found this document :
> http://www.polycom.com/global/documents/whitepapers/codecs_white_paper.pdf
> which is quite good.
>
> It sais:
>
> G.722.1. Also known as "Siren 7"
>
> G.722.1 Annex C. Also known as "Siren14”
>
> This doesn’t explain why the Polycom G7221_C doesn’t work with
> Asterisk’s Siren14
>
> G.722.1 doesn’t work with Asterisk’s Siren7
>
> Am I just doing something wrong? Is my understand correct?

It's really hard to guess, since you don't post any configuration
samples or log captures. In order to debug a problem like this, a 'sip
debug' capture showing the SIP signaling and how Asterisk interpreted it
would be required.

--
Kevin P. Fleming