[asterisk-users] T38 faxing - UDPTL creation failed

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Feb 8 16:07:06 CST 2012

On 02/02/2012 12:24 PM, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> Agreed - I think the "solution" is a patch to udptl.c to reset the counter
> instead of dying with this message (just my opinion).

Asterisk was recently changed to only allocate UDPTL port numbers to
channels that actually need them; prior to this change, if a SIP peer
had "t38pt_udptl=yes", then any channels for that peer would have a
UDPTL session allocated for them. This wasted resources, both memory and
port numbers.

If the original poster had a lot of SIP channels at once, but most of
them not using UDPTL, this could have caused his problem. For now,
increasing the port range is the best method to resolve it, and is not
harmful. Once a new release of Asterisk is made available with these
UDPTL allocation changes made, then the port range could be reduced to
only those necessary for the number of simultaneous channels using UDPTL.

--
Kevin P. Fleming