[asterisk-users] Major changes between 1.4/1.6.1.8/10?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Feb 8 15:58:43 CST 2012

On 02/07/2012 09:07 AM, Gilles wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:31:31 +0000, Steven Howes
> <steve-lists at geekinter.net>  wrote:
>> The upgrade files may be more to your tastes than changes files.
>
> Thanks. I downloaded and untarred asterisk-1.8.8.0.tar.gz, and it
> looks like the UPGRADE*.txt files within tarballs are the closest
> there is to knowing what major features were introduced in each
> branch, so as to make an educated guess as to whether it's worth
> upgrading to a newer release/branch.

No, unfortunately that's not quite correct. The UPGRADE files list
*important* changes that users need to know about because they are
changes in behavior of existing functionality. New features, even really
useful and widely anticipated ones, that don't cause backwards
compatibility issues are only listed in the CHANGES files. For example,
the addition of T.38 gateway support in Asterisk 10 only appears in
CHANGES, not UPGRADE, because if you don't use it, it doesn't affect you.

--
Kevin P. Fleming