[asterisk-users] SIP hardware phones

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 11:46:21 CST 2012

Let me answer that, Carlos. A big hospital.

These big infrastructures can be quite outdated and messy. Getting someone to cable old parts of the buildings can be very expensive. However, replacing just the backbone switches is something they can afford. And they don't need PoE, really.
What kind of applications benefit from gigabit speed? Well, plenty, such as MDs having to view a whole bunch of x-ray images of several patients, as fast as possible. Believe me, doctors aren't patient and Gbps makes a big difference.

So basically, that's your answer: these sites don't need PoE, just Gbps and can't afford cabling a huge old building. Now, they don't care for PoE on the hardphones either.

So in these cases, I think it's clearly justifiable to have a low-budget Digium D40 or Grandstream GXP280 with a 2-NIC Gbps switch.
Not a big deal anyway, because they can always add a mini 5 or 8-port gigiabit switch for around 20$ between the wall socket and the hardphone+PC, but that just adds another appliance to the doctor's office...