[asterisk-users] Asterisk V/s FreeSwitch

Brynjolfur Thorvardsson binni at itanet.nu
Wed Feb 8 01:53:23 CST 2012

My Asterisk 1.4.19 happily excepts up to 80 concurrent calls (the most I've seen so far) which sends the CPU load up to ~20% on a fairly old server. In our busiest period, from 8 to 8:05 I see up to 200 incoming calls, somewhat less than one call/second.

My superiors want to expand and increase the number of clients significantly and the scalability of Asterisk is beginning to worry me. Someone mentioned a "roof" of 250 CC in Asterisk after which stability and call quality becomes increasingly affected.

My plan is to implement load-balancing using DUNDi with one extra server initially, and a second available on site for further expansion. This should enable me to accommodate ten times our current load without any significant problems (I hope!), and adding more servers is fairly easy (although I guess there are diminishing returns?).

When it comes to the long term I must admit I am increasingly looking at trying out FreeSwitch, the configuration might be trickier but scalability is much higher on my list of priorities.