[asterisk-users] Fwd: Re: Asterisk CLI unresponsive

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Feb 6 20:16:48 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----

Whether or not 1.8 has fewer bugs is a question without a definite answer.
While you can easily do a search in JIRA to find the bugs currently opened
against a release, that does not mean that a version of software works better
or worse in your particular deployment.  If 1.8 had a bug in a module that
you do not use, that is obviously of little impact versus a bug in a module
that you do use.  Feel free to look at the open issues against 1.8 to determine
if there are any open issues that would prevent you from upgrading.

Beyond what is currently reported in the public issue tracker, determining
the set of bugs (for some definition of "bug") in any piece of software is
impossible.

What you should be taking into account is that your version of software is
unsupported.  If you report your issue in JIRA, you will be asked to reproduce
it in 1.8.  If you decide not to, the issue will be closed.  If someone would
like to look at the backtrace they can, but it would have to be a choice
made by some member of the Asterisk community.  If they diagnose it and can
provide a patch that's great - but the 1.6.2.x line will not be officially
patched.  You will have to patch the software yourself, and maintain your
patched version of Asterisk.

I will say that we have fixed a lot of locking issues in Asterisk in 1.8
and later branches, and continue to fix them as they arise.

> Kind regards,
> Jonas.

Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer