[asterisk-users] [asterisk-dev] How to play audio file in background in dialplan?

Yaroslav Panych panych.y at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:29:59 CST 2012

Hi

I have a task. While serving incoming call I should do some longtime
task(consumes more than few tens of seconds). So I decided to turn on
background music in order to entertain caller. `core show
applications` showed me 3 potential candidates: Background, Playback
and StartMusicOnHold. Unfortunately, all of them does not meet my
requirements:
1. Background and Playback block execution of dialplan.
2. StartMusicOnHold I cannot say which file it should play. Only
class, which is inpossible for me because of file to play is of
dynamically generated content with runtime obtained name, and I cannot
predict and configure all possible pairs of file-name/class-name.(And
don't want to use realtime to link class-name and file-name on fly).
Any ideas?

regards, Yaroslav