[asterisk-users] Doubt regarding jabber

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Wed Dec 19 05:27:06 CST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 10:01 -0600, Jonathan Rose wrote:
> Harish Mandowara wrote:
> > I have Asterisk server 1.8.19 with jabber enabled.
> >
> > On the other side i have openfire server with asterisk-im enabled.
> >
> > I have a doubt, whether my sip client connected with asterisk can
> > send message to other sip client, which is connected to same
> > asterisk server.
> >

> > I have jitsi as a sip client.
> >
> > If its possible. Than please suggest any documentation regarding
> > this.
> >
> > any help??
> >
> > THanks a lot
>
> As far as I'm aware, SIP clients are generally incapable of using
> XMPP to send and receive messages. I'm aware Jitsi can act as an
> XMPP client, but its functionality as one has basically nothing to
> do with Asterisk. Asterisk can use XMPP send and receive messages
> to/from an XMPP server (also clients on that server by relay).
> Jabber is also used for Google Talk and Google Voice, but I'm not
> sure which versions those features work best in. I'd imagine 11
> would be your best bet if you wanted that functionality since it
> has a bunch of Jabber improvements as well as chan_motif.
>
> So if you want Asterisk to send jitsi an IM, you need to set up
> account on an XMPP server for them to use (as well as profiles to
> connect with). Once you are sure you have Asterisk and the Jitsi
> client connected to the XMPP server, you can send the message with
> the dialplan application 'JabberSend' which takes arguments of
> account (which is the account you are using to send), jid (who
> is receiving the message) and the message itself. You can similarly
> receive messages on Asterisk by using the JABBER_RECEIVE function
> with similar arguments except no message and an optional timeout.

Hi,
probably Jonathan is correct.
firstly, much changes/improvements has been made since 1.8.19 so you
might give asterisk-11 a try, in which xmpp has got a lot of attention.

Secondly, as you use Jitsi, why don't you use jitsi's xmpp capabilities?
afaicr, the SIP-part of jitsi is only capable of simple, not xmpp.

Hans.