[asterisk-users] DECT phone for home: siemens A510 v. Grandstream DP715

Kai-Uwe Jensen kujensen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:54:15 CST 2012

Using a Gigaset C610IP here, and am very happy with the features. The base
station can handle two concurrent SIP calls, and another internal one at
that. It does it with a single SIP registration to each server. You can
setup multiple servers if you want to and define dial patterns/plans that
determine which server gets used. After some playing around with it, I'm
now using my setup connected to a single asterisk only. (Let asterisk make
call routing decisions based on cost, using an AGI)

Call transfer is working fine, the handsets have a Flash/R key to
accomplish this. Using the Flash lets you start a second call, and once
answered you can easily conference the second party in (softkey right on
the screen), or transfer the call to the other party (via menu, then
transfer). Using this capability, someone on a call can easily confer with
another party, and bridge them into the call. AFAIK it is not possible for
someone to join an existing call easily. You'd have to implement that in
asterisk's dialplan, not on the Gigaset phone.

My understanding is that the C610IP has a few more features than the 510. I
might've also read somewhere that the 510 is obsolete. Can't find that link
right now, but search mgraves.org (use the Gigaset tag to get some initial
results).