[asterisk-users] DECT phone for home: siemens A510 v. Grandstream DP715

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:39:54 CST 2012

On 12/11/2012 04:37 PM, Roy Abshire wrote:
> That is true about the A580.
>
> I don't like the interface much to check messages.
>
> Besides that every time I go to dial a number...it always uses the first
> digit pressed to go into phone mode..so I have to press the first digit
> twice...
>
> I would test other phones but it's for home and I can't fork over $$ to
> try them all out....
>
> I have tested some Nokia cell phones, the N97, N900, and E71 and the E71
> and N900 worked well.  I didn't like the N97.
>
> Co-op Vacation Rentals
> www.coopvr.com
> 15218 Summit Ave
> Suite #300-354
> Fontana, CA 92336
> Phone/Fax (855) 760-COOP (2667)
>
> On 12/11/2012 12:52 PM, Pete Mundy wrote:
>> One thing I dislike about the A580H is that the handset always says 'You have new messages' if I've missed a call. It wouldn't bug me if it said 'missed call' but it tells me I have new messages and even lights up a red LED under a button with a picture of an envelope on it.
>>
>> I'm about to test an A510IP and an A610IP to compare against the A580. Fingers crossed neither of them has that issue, because the Gigaset phone is a pretty good phone other than that, and the difficulty doing a (blind) transfer, as referred to by the OP.
>>
>> Pete
>>

>> On 12/12/2012, at 8:57 AM, Roy Abshire<roy at coopvr.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using the Gigaset A580 Base and A58H Phone for about 3 years now.  Never gave me problems. The call Quality is excellent!
>>> I only have 1 handset connected to the Base but I want more. I bought a Linksys WIP330 as a 2nd phone to try out and that works just as good without a base unit.
>>>
>>> The A580 Base supports up to 6 handsets.
>>>
>>> I have 6 Incoming VOIP Numbers using separate SIP accounts pointed to 1 Handset but you can point each SIP to separate handsets.
>>>
>>> The call goes to the first phone that picks up.  When on a call, picking up another phone makes a separate call and does not conference.  I don't use conference yet but I know you have to put the call on hold or something.
>>>
>>> The thing I don't like about the A580 and might be the same on all of them is that you can only specify 1 Sip Account for making outgoing calls.  In other words, all 6 phones would use the same caller id out, but I wanted to be able to choose that because I have a business number and number for each person in our household.  In order to use a different Caller ID (SIP Account) for making outgoing calls I added a extension to my Dial Plan and before making outgoing calls I press *1-6 before the number.
>>>
>>> I'm going to try adding more handsets that are compatible.  I want the SL78H but they are so expensive for just home everyday use.
>>>
>>> Make sure you check the compatibility page here before buying handsets.
>>>
>>> http://gigaset.com/us/en/cms/PageCustomerServicesCompatibility.html

Some stupid questions:

I understand the A510 allows 2 sip calls. Let's say you've registered
the base with asterisk. A uses handset 1 to call out over sip. B picks
up handset 2. Does B hear a dial tone? Can B dial out over the asterisk
server?

Or do you need two registrations with asterisk? In which case, is
handset 2 always tied to the second registration?

sean