[asterisk-users] Audio feedback - where to troubleshoot?

Justin Sherrill Justin.Sherrill at americanrocksalt.com
Thu Dec 6 10:28:51 CST 2012

We occasionally get a sort of feedback/echo noise on our phones here.  (Polycom IP550 / Asterisk 1.8).  It lasts for about a second, and it's described by users as 'jingle bells'.  It happens when people are using the speakerphone, especially when it's on both ends.  It happens on internal calls, so it's not something from the PSTN.

My theory is that the very sensitive speakerphone microphones in those models are picking up small noises, and then picking up their own playback of the noise, which leads to the feedback sound.  It repeats, which is why it sounds like an echo.

I think turning rxgain/txgain down may make a difference, but I haven't tried it yet.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Justin Sherrill - American Rock Salt
P: 585-991-6825 F: 585-991-6925 C: 585-298-6826