[asterisk-users] Understanding CHANNEL function values

Stefan at WPF stefan.at.wpf at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 25 07:31:15 CDT 2012

Hello all,

I need some help understand the values of the CHANNEL function, e.g.

> txploss // local packets loss
> rxploss // remote packets loss
> txjitter  // local jitter
> rxjitter  // remote jitter

My main problem in understand is that a CHANNEL has two nodes (sender and
receiver), while a typical setup includes at least 3 nodes:
SIP phone - Asterisk - SIP Provider ( -> each is a node)

1) So e.g. txploss, is it
- what is lost between SIP phone and Asterisk
- what is lost between Asterisk and SIP Provider
- or probably both?

I guess the SIP Provider sends back a info about missed packets, then it
wouldn't be relevant where they got lost, but just that they were lost
somewhere between the SIP phone and the SIP Provider?

2) Also, how can I monitor only the connections SIP phone - Asterisk and
Asterisk - SIP Provider each on their own?

3) txploss are the lost packets in the direction from SIP phone to SIP
provider, right? I am aware of tx and rx and what it normally means, but in
this case it would also fit the other way round ;-)

4) I always have txjitter but never rxjitter, does this make sense?
Shouldn't txjitter be less of a problem? Also, how exactly is the txjitter
/ jitter in general defined in Asterisk?

Thanks very much and best regards
Stefan