[asterisk-users] Log faulty calls?

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Fri Aug 24 08:52:49 CDT 2012

One trick you can do is to accept all calls into the dial plan and then do IP lookups and call pattern checks to determine if the call is good to go past your sidewalk code.  You need to make sure this code is very efficient so that you can lock out bogus callers and attackers. If you use this in conjugation with something like failtoban or some kind of auto firewall scripts you can then trap CDR's at a level before you do a full block. You can also do some tarpit style handling to slow down hackers as well.

A second approach is to inject good registered peers into your valid sections of dialplan and do a general catch all context that will accept from anyone even non registered but goes no where. You can stick your failtoban here as well. You can create logging and tarpiting. Setup bogus calls to audio files that will confuse the crap out of the hackers so they think they have good routes and you can gather stats on where and what kind of attacks are comming at you. If you control their entry point you can better control the load on your network until you can ban them off.

There are lot's of possiblites if you think out side the box.

Bryant Zimmerman