[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 and 11

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu Aug 23 08:01:25 CDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Matthew Jordan
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:12 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 and 11

----- Original Message -----

So, that's not exactly true.  Each year, a new major version of Asterisk
is made from the Asterisk trunk.  During that year, a focus is put onto
different topics for major project/new feature development.  For Asterisk
10,
a focus was put on architectural changes (media architecture overhaul,
utilization of the Bridging API in ConfBridge, etc.)  Asterisk 11 focused
more on stability and end user experience, and stayed away from major
architectural refactorings.

So, its not really accurate to say that 11 is "1.8 EOL version".  Each
version
of Asterisk builds on the previous, with a different focus on the major
projects for that version.  For example, the media architecture of Asterisk
10
exists in Asterisk 11, as does ConfBridge, T.38 Gateway, etc.

Asterisk 11 is in beta.  The more people that help us test it out the
better it will be when it is released!

Note that you can find more information on Asterisk versions and their
lifetimes
on the Asterisk wiki:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions

You can find more information about upgrading to Asterisk 11 on the wiki as
well:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Upgrading+to+Asterisk+11

And you can also find out more about the new features in Asterisk 11 here:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/New+in+11

Note that we're still working on the documentation for the new features, so
expect so more pages to show up there in the future.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager

 Too busy to say "checked out from trunk" so I said EOL.  Since I use 10.X,
1.8 (and 1.6) were "EOL" for me out of the box.