[asterisk-users] Video conferencing?

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Wed Aug 1 04:10:09 CDT 2012

30.07.2012 22:52, Matthew Jordan пишет:
> [...]

May be, I even will agree when something will be at least planned ;-)

> Refusal of Feature:
>
> Person A: Do you have plans to implement feature Y?
> Developer B: No, and we never will, because feature Y will cause baby penguins
>     to cry.

This is answer I got :-) May be there were more messages after that, I
didn't read them , sorry.

> See the difference?
>
> Now lets look at what I actually told you several months ago:
>
> "That being said, we do not have plans at this time to perform
> transcoding on the video streams.  There's a number of reasons for this,
> most notably that to do so is incredibly resource intensive.  Is that
> what you were referring to?"

Right.

> I can't predict everything that is going to be in a future version of Asterisk.

Anyway, are there any plans to implement i-frame switching? :-)

We did tests with jitsi, just because it is mentioned as tested in
asterisk wiki.
( https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/ConfBridge+10 )
I don't know does it support rfc5168 :-(

> It does.  You have to configure it properly.  Click on the advanced button, go
> to H.264, and select "Signaling" in the "Preferred method to request key frames"
> option.
>
> Unfortunately, Asterisk does not have full support for AVPF, and so it will not
> request intra-frames over RTCP, which is Jitsi's default option.  (Note: it is
> much more likely that someone would be willing to take a look at fully
> implementing that RFC then doing some manipulation of the intra-frames inside
> Asterisk itself.  Do not construe this message as a promise to do so however)

But is this planned?

>>> 2. If you get a SIP trace or a packet capture, do you see Asterisk
>>> sending the SIP INFO messages when a video update occurs?"
>> Don't know too.
> Wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/
>
> Barring that, you can see the SIP messages Asterisk sends out with "sip set
> debug on".

You just wrote that asterisk doesn't support this feature, so why use
wireshark?
Sorry, I'm not programmer, I'm just system administrator, I can do some
tests or small patches, but implemeting feature- sorry, I can't for
obvious reason- I have no enough skills.

> Could you point me to client with such support?
> I see no info about this on link above.
> Quick googling turned up Ekiga, linphone, LifeSize communicator, Grandstream

According to wiki and our tests Ekiga doesn't work with confbridge video
at all, don't know about other clients.