[asterisk-users] Open source replacement for AudioCodes nCite 1000 SBC

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Wed Apr 25 13:29:36 CDT 2012

List users,

I have an AudioCodes nCite 1000 SBC that is end-of-life and I'm
looking to replace it with open source software.  I believe one of the
SIP proxy projects will fit my needs, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by
the number of choices and I'd like the advice of experienced users
before I venture too far down any one path.

The projects that came to mind first were Kamailio, OpenSIPS, SER, and
SIP-Router, but I'm aware that there are others and I'm open to
suggestions.  Please keep in mind that I'm looking for something
reasonably easy to setup and administer.  I'm not looking to have it
setup tomorrow, but it must be something that a single skilled
Linux/Asterisk administrator could take on in addition to other daily
tasks.

The functionality that I'm currently using on the nCite 1000 is:

  SIP Proxy/B2BUA and RTP Proxy
    * Internal call routing (private IP-to-private IP)
    * External call routing (external IP-to-private IP and vice versa)
      with topology hiding
    * SIP header modification
    * Digit manipulation (delete digits/add prefixes based on matching
      criteria)

  Connectivity
    * NAT traversal
    * External registrations (registration bindings are maintained and
      ports on the far end firewall are kept open)

  Authentication
    * By source IP address or range
    * By destination SIP proxy

  Session Targets and Session Target Sets
    * Individual SIP entities (e.g. Asterisk servers, SIP trunks) are
      defined as session targets
    * Session targets are grouped into sets with call distribution based
      on priorities/weights

  Call Routing
    * Static Binding: All calls to an inbound SIP proxy are routed to
      the same session target set via the same outbound SIP proxy
    * Dial Pattern: All calls to an inbound SIP proxy are routed to
      different session target sets via different outbound SIP proxies
      based on dial patterns

  Future Considerations
    * TLS/SRTP support

Thank you,