[asterisk-users] Advice on Asterisk Conference

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 04:33:34 CDT 2012

Be  aware that there are several different conferencing solutions for asterisk.

I've used app_meetme in asterisk 1.8 (the LTS release) pretty happily. It is reasonably full featured and
well supported. It has 2 drawbacks : 1) it needs a kernel module (Dahdi) to do the mixing and
timing 2) it only does narrowband codecs

If you like living nearer to the edge, there is app_confbridge in asterisk 1.10 (aka 10) which
removes those 2 issues, but is new and so lacks some of the support (e.g. web modules etc)

In terms of numbers, I've always found that user management issues kick in before the software/hardware limitations. Your milage may vary.

T.