[asterisk-users] another non-root problem: unable to set utime ??

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat Apr 7 21:51:17 CDT 2012

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, sean darcy wrote:

> I'm trying to run asterisk as "asterisk". Which is harder than I
> thought.
>
> 10.3.0. When I put a callfile into /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing, I get
> this warning:
>
> Unable to set utime on /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/callfile.call:
> Operation not permitted
>
> ls -l /var/spool
> drwxr-x---.  9 asterisk asterisk 4096 Apr  7 21:41 asterisk
>
> ls -l /var/spool/asterisk
> drwxrwx---. 2 asterisk asterisk 4096 Apr  7 21:14 outgoing

Do 'ps -U asterisk' or 'ls -l /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/callfile.call'
yield any clues?

Also, just in case you're unaware, creating the call file in the
/outgoing/ directory is an invitation for a race condition. A 'better
practice' is to create the file in a temporary directory on the same
device, write to it, close it and 'mv' it. 'mv' is an 'atomic' operation.

--
Thanks in advance,