[asterisk-users] Asterisk Realtime Time Dial App

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Mon Sep 26 17:48:24 CDT 2011

On 27/09/11 11:04 AM, Nick Khamis wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> Thank you so much for your response. The first two are not a problem.
> I would rather write the app in C and compile it directly into
> asterisk. Are there
> any direction on how to work with the dial app? Any types of threads *
> may use etc...

I wouldn't compile it directly into Asterisk for a few reasons:

1. It's not likely to ever get accepted into the mainstream codebase as
it would require a dependency on MySQL.  This means you would
continually need to adapt your code as Asterisk changes.

2. If you were to write something that could be accepted into the
mainstream code base, it would need to support multiple database systems
and would likely need to be integrated with Asterisk realtime.

3. If there was a problem in the code it would bring down Asterisk,
whereas if it was external it would just bring down the app.

4. If you ever wanted to support a cluster of Asterisk machines it would
likely require significant changes.

If the app were written in C but external to Asterisk you would overcome
all of these.  The only exception being that you would want to check the
Asterisk Manager version when connecting.

You could then make the app GPL or whatever if you wanted to distribute
it and then other people could help maintain it.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell

http://www.venturevoip.com/news.php (Daily Asterisk News)