[asterisk-users] Asynchronous AGI Problems (Asterisk 1.8.7.0), ubuntu-server

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Mon Sep 26 12:23:23 CDT 2011

> Actually it doesn't say "AGI(async:script)" it says "AGI(async:agi)"
> and than continues further to setting up an AMI user so the script is
> executed through the manager interface?? Than it says
> "AGI(agi:async)".?? Well most importantly it says "Cons of async AGI:
> It is the most complex method of using AGI to implement." ..:) I have
> been interested in Async AGI as well and after reading your post
> looked into the link you provided, seems different than what we
> immediately think, a background process.

AGI(agi:async) is the correct invocation.  AsyncAGI is still an AGI and
behaves as such.  The primary difference between the flavors of AGI is
where the commands AGI executes come from.  For AsyncAGI, the commands
are passed to Asterisk with AMI actions.  Command responses are passed back
the same way.  One thing to note is that the AGI AMI actions use "CommandID"
instead of the normal "ActionID".

<snip>

> > Is there anyway for me to make asynchronous AGIs work? I've tried
> > searching online to no avail.

The most definitive documentation is always the source code. :)
For AGI this is in the res/res_agi.c file.

Richard