[asterisk-users] Who is the "creative" mind behind changing Asterisk commands at CLI?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sun Sep 25 23:39:06 CDT 2011

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Alex Balashov wrote:

> I don't think very highly of the changes either.  However, your approach
> and Bruce's is not how to make the case to the developers.

Bruce was a dickish troll and he was right. The Asterisk CLI was bad in
1.2 and then veered into horrible.

> Aside from that, is it really that big of a deal?  Is it that hard to
> learn a new command set and adapt?

Yes, it is.

I confess I'm a 1.2 Luddite so I have close to no experience with the
current CLI. Every time I start using a newer version I get about 3 or 4
commands into it and then I get sucked into the vortex of 'core or not
core,' what module implements this command?, oh the hell with it -- I'd be
done by now if I used 1.2.

Why should I have to know the name of the module before I can get help on
a command? Which rocket scientist decided that some perfectly reasonable
commands all of a sudden have to be prefaced with 'core' for no good
reason? Which module is named core? How 'intuitive' is this? How
'off-putting' is this to a new user? Why did previously maligned
designer(s) decide to ignore every other reasonably* designed CLI and
conclude that Asterisk's CLI must be 'different' and that obtuseness is a
virtue?

Overcoming the inertia to retrain my ancient fingers is one of the reasons
why I have not used a newer version in any of my new installs.

Yes, I could implement 'my own private Idaho' using CLI aliases but
doesn't that seem like a lot of work and rather silly? I suspect I'd loose
command completion in the process and I kind of like command completion.

I've ranted about this before and didn't get any traction so I'll crack
open another beer and be quiet now.

*) 'Reasonably' is defined herein as 'as would be designed by a reasonable
man**'

**) 'Reasonable man' is defined herein as 'me.'

--
Thanks in advance,