[asterisk-users] Who is the "creative" mind behind changing Asterisk commands at CLI?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at digium.com
Sun Sep 25 20:23:38 CDT 2011

On 11-09-25 08:57 PM, Bruce B wrote:
> First of all, what the heck is this link you referenced:
>
>   http://lists.digium.com/**pipermail/asterisk-users/2010-**April/247084.html<http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2010-April/247084.html>
>
> ??????
>
> Secondly, an Asterisk 1.6.2.18 that I am running right now plays nicely with
> "help" command. The 1.8 does do that. So, 1.6.2.18 has not been around for 3
> years. Again, stop misleading and changing the subject. When you state 3
> years ago that is absolutely false. In doesn't apply to any of the Asterisk
> versions till 1.8xx

You seem to be missing the point or not reading my replies. The reason
'*CLI> help' still works on asterisk 1.6.2, is because of the changes
made 3 years ago add res_clialiases.so.  Without it, the command would
actually not work.

Here is a simple test you can do on your 1.6.2 / 1.8 asterisk box:

*CLI> module unload res_clialiases.so
Unloaded res_clialiases.so
*CLI> help
No such command 'help' (type 'core show help help' for other possible
commands)

As you can see, without res_clialiases.so the command does not work.
So, if you are saying the '*CLI> help' command does not work, then check
your asterisk configuration first.

> My post was very clear. Yes, it was sarcastic due to frustration but it was
> very clear and I wanted to say that there is no need to do "core show help
> sip" when you can simply do "help sip".
>
> I still don't think your reply was called for. These trolls like I said help
> you live through with your attitude. If you were my employee and talked like
> this to anyone I would fire you right away.
>
> I am asking you nicely to please stop making this about yourself or Digium.
> Like I said, I like Asterisk. I love it. It works very good. Please listen
> to the community feedback without getting so defensive. No one gains
> anything from changes like this. I am sure Digium can afford one afternoon
> meeting to decide what the commands naming convention should be for the next
> 20 years.

I don't even know how to reply to this, so I won't.  Thanks for all the
fish.

--
Paul Belanger
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer