[asterisk-users] dahdi_dummy required?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 23 06:40:45 CDT 2011

On 09/23/2011 02:50 AM, Ishfaq Malik wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 22:19 -0600, Troy Telford wrote:
>> I'm running Asterisk 1.8.4.4; I'm new to asterisk, and have been
>> reading the Asterisk Definitive Guide, and it mentions that dahdi_dummy
>> should be used to provide an interface for Asterisk to get kernel
>> timing. - espescially if using timing-dependant modules.
>>
>> I have a minor question: is dahdi_dummy necessary or useful anymore -
>> espescially for users who don't have DAHDI hardware?
>>
>> I ask because I just checked out dahdi 2.5 from svn&  built (against
>> the Linux kernel 3.0)
>>
>> I noticed that dahdi_dummy didn't seem to be built; when I poked around
>> in the changelog, I saw:
>>      * README: README: Remove references to dahdi_dummy. Since
>>        dahdi_dummy is no longer required remove the references from
>>        README. (issue #17959) Reported by: glen201 Origin:
>>        http://svnview.digium.com/svn/dahdi?view=rev&rev=9308
>>
>> So am I correct in assuming dahdi_dummy isn't needed/useful anymore?
>
> Application MeetMe will not work without it.

This is completely incorrect. MeetMe never relied on dahdi_dummy
specifically, it requires DAHDI to have a working timing source. Yes, at
one point dahdi_dummy was available to provide a timing source if there
weren't any DAHDI cards in the system... but it is no longer necessary.
DAHDI is now able to provide timing and audio mixing using kernel timers
using a built-in timer, so there is no need for a separate module. The
ChangeLog entry above is correct, as of DAHDI 2.4 and later.

--
Kevin P. Fleming