[asterisk-users] mISDN Vs Dahdi

Tamer Higazi th982a at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:40:27 CDT 2011

Am 20.09.2011 19:47, schrieb Gopal krishnan:
> What is the difference between using mISDN for BRI and using Dahdi

mISDN was at 1st done for ISDN Services and channel driver as I know. It
supported like call routing (switch based, not your side on the pbx level).

> without mISDN?

you can use DAHDI without ISDN, for other related telephony interfaces.
Like analogue cards. and if there are other telephony hardware
interfaces that has nothing common todo you can use it too.

and genereal:
DAHDI is the native digium hardware telephony interface. Beside mISDN
you have the native support for an echo cancellor you could use.

for example: oslec or the hpec (high performance echo cancellor) which
you can't make use of it natively with mISDN.

As long you have no hardware interface boards as PCI modules, and you
connect only throug the network to your enddevices, there is no need to
startup dahdi at all.

end beside: dahdi is an extra service that starts up, mISDN is a channel
driver you must activate in the modules.conf.

Are all your question answered that far?!

> Regards

Tamer