[asterisk-users] Fixing an old bug related to extension "s" - feedback wanted

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Sep 20 09:09:09 CDT 2011

20 sep 2011 kl. 15:34 skrev Danny Nicholas:

> Just my .02 - fix Originate since the "Original Asterisk" book, page 125
> paragraph 1 says "s" = "start".  If "s" is not really "start", I'm going to
> scrap my 3+ years of dialplan writing and change all of my simple dialplans
> to read exten=> start,1,blah instead of exten => s,1,blah.  To me exten=>
> s,1,blah is more intuitive and less vulnerable than exten => _X.,1,blah.

I am sorry that the "Original Asterisk" book was wrong and do hope that they corrected that part in later editions.

I don't think any official docs have pointed out that "s" was anything else than a default extension for situations where there is no extension given.

Using "start" makes your dialplans much easier to read :-) and makes them more secure as no app will end up there by accident, which may happen in your current systems.

/O