[asterisk-users] High delay from Asterisk as PSTN simulator

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 16 07:03:06 CDT 2011

On 09/15/2011 10:46 AM, Gustavo Santos wrote:
> I understand. I'm interested in simulate the real situation because I'm
> doing an academic comparative between algorithms, and is really
> interesting have all possible situations.
> In the real situation I use a E1 to connect a PBX through a R2 link, so
> I want to try change DAHDI to 10 ms... What should I modify?
> Any other sugestion to make it works?

Changing chan_dahdi to use 10ms packet size is *still* not going to
solve your problem; when a 10ms packet is read from the incoming
channel, the transmission of it on the outgoing channel will not
overlap; it will begin as much as 10ms later, resulting in as much as
20ms of latency.

The only way you are going to be able to use Asterisk in this scenario
is what I outlined before; you will need to have Asterisk call back out
over the same E1 to your test device, and let the DAHDI native bridging
bridge the two channels on the E1 card itself; this will result in no
more than 1ms of latency between the channels. Alternatively, it is
conceivable that DAHDI could be modified to have a loopback mode, and a
special dialplan application constructed to trigger it... and then a
single channel could be looped back towards its source, on demand, with
nearly zero latency.

--
Kevin P. Fleming