[asterisk-users] sox: Failed reading obd-demo.mp3: Do not understand format type: mp3

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Sep 15 15:07:14 CDT 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> I did ran the below command
>
> [root at host0040 test]# file obd-demo.alaw
> obd-demo.alaw: data
>
> [root at host0040 test]# sox obd-demo.alaw -e stat
> sox: Failed reading obd-demo.alaw:
> Do not understand format type: alaw

[au]law are 'headerless' file formats so the 'file' command can't help.
Sox needs a clue as well. (See what sox says if you change the file name
from example.alaw to example.al.)

> Basically trying to understand the properties of the .alaw file about
> encoding and details. Please guide.

Personally, I prefer to use WAV (not the funky 'gsm in wav' kind) files
throughout.

I don't think 'transcoding' between [au]law and wav is a big deal CPU wise
and I like easy to use file formats.

Call me lazy, but being able to just type 'play example.wav' or 'audacity
example.wav' has value to me. So does being able to email an audio file to
a 'non-techie' and not having to explain anything.

If you're looking to squeeze every last CPU cycle, there are probably
better places to look. If you are really that tight on resources, maybe
you should reconsider your hardware choices.

--
Thanks in advance,