[asterisk-users] Question about voip.ms service.

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Sep 13 17:57:59 CDT 2011

naren wrote:

> Ok that makes sense. I will take a look at my set up and see why it is not registering with voip.ms <http://voip.ms>.

Understand that with IAX, voip.ms will not show you as registered.
Your Asterisk should show you as registered from the CLI
CLI> iax2 show registry
XX.XX.XX.XXX:4569     N       YYYYY      ZZ.ZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ:4569         60  Registered

X= Voip.ms server
Y=your account number
Z=Your IP address

In IAX general section:

register => YYYYY:PASSWORD at newyork.voip.ms ; change this to your server specified

this is shown in their example, with your data filled in

then your specific section for voipms:

[voipms]    ;
;
type=friend
username=YYYYY
secret=PASSWORD
context=from-voipms ; this points to your inbound context in extensions
host=newyork.voip.ms
disallow=all
allow=ulaw ;Codec 1 supported
allow=gsm  ; Codec 2 supported
insecure=port,invite ; from voip.ms example
requirecalltoken=no ; required after 1.4.26

Hope this helps

JN

> I opened a ticket with voip.ms <http://voip.ms> as well about an hour ago. I do like their service as well, that is why I want to try and get it working with them.
>
> Thanks John.
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM, John Novack <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org <mailto:jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org>> wrote:
>
>     Voip.ms has excellent support if you need it, which many do not.
>     You log in to your account, then you can change from SIP to IAX, and if you click on the correct link they will give you your sample with your account information
>     You need to set up a registration line in IAX, then a context in IAX that points to a context in extensions.conf
>     Registration takes care of voip.ms <http://voip.ms> finding you
>     their web site setup is about as complete a site as I have seen, with many more options than I would ever need
>     The only somewhat confusing issue is when using IAX they will not show you as registered
>     Your Asterisk will, though.
>
>     John Novack
>

>     naren wrote:
>>
>>     That's what I am hoping to do as well. Could you share some insight on how you set up the DID on the voip.ms <http://voip.ms> web site to forward to Asterisk using IAX? In particular I am trying to find out where you set the url / ip address of your asterisk installation on the voip.ms <http://voip.ms> web site.
>>
>>     Thanks!
>>
>>     On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Robert-iPhone <rhuddleston at gmail.com <mailto:rhuddleston at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         I'm using them for inbound and outbound on Asterisk and FreeSwitch
>>
>>         Sent from my iPhone
>>

>>     --
>
>     --
>
>     Dog is my Co-pilot