[asterisk-users] Determine negotiated codec in script

Tom Browning ttbrowning at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:19:12 CDT 2011

Sorry if this is an obvious question and perhaps my Google foo isn't
right on this one:

I have calls coming into an Asterisk server that may be using 2
different codecs.  I am recording audio in both cases but the
challenge is knowing which codec was negotiated at call setup.  I need
to pass the proper format to the record command as the codecs cannot
be transcoded and are only supported for playback/record/passthru etc.

Is there some global variable present that I can look at for codec
identification?