[asterisk-users] High delay from Asterisk as PSTN simulator

Gustavo Santos gustavo at voip.ufrj.br
Tue Sep 13 08:56:37 CDT 2011

I'm trying to use Asterisk as a PSTN simulator to run performance tests for
echo cancellation algorithms. I'm using the following configuration:

SIP <-----> Asterisk 1 <----> Asterisk 2 <----> Echo()

Asterisk 1 and Asterisk 2 are connected using E1. Echo() is the dialplan
application.

The problem is the high delay using this configuration: 20 ms only in
Asterisk 2. I've read the source code of chan_dahdi, and I think the channel
has a 20 ms "buffer" (160 samples). Algorithms like mg2 and kb1 are
configured to accept 128 taps (16 ms), so 20 ms is too high.

Someone knows how I can reduce the delay to at least 10 ms? Should I change
something in the source code?

Thanks in advance,
Gustavo Santos.

--